Apple web site no longer accessible via MacTCP
Message Number: 19
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 00:26:46 +0000
From: Paul Cherubini <email@example.com>
Subject: 7.5.3 & 7.5.5 owners unable to access www.apple.com
You can't use MacTCP ("classical networking") to access
www.apple.com. You need to use Open Transport 1.1.1. Fortunately,
7.5.3 and 7.5.5 owners, currently using MacTCP (a control panel)
likely already have Open Transport 1.1.1 installed (which includes a
TCP/IP control panel) but don't know it because its inactive (MacTCP
and Open Transport can't run at the same time.
To activate Open Transport Networking do the following:
1. Choose Find from the File Menu and type in Network then click
the Find button
2. If you see Network Software Selector*, double click on it.
3. Click the radio button for "Use Open Transport Networking"
4. Restart the computer.
5. Open the TCP/IP control panel
6. Where it says Configure: select "using PPP server"
7. Open your PPP connection and launch your web browser. You will now be using Open Transport 1.1.1 instead of MacTCP and will be able to get into www.apple.com
*You might also find the Network Software Selector in the Apple
Extras folder inside your System Folder.
©1996-04 JagWerks Media