Downloading and Installing Mac OS 7.5.3
credit Classic Mac Digest
Procedure to download the Macbinary version of system 7.5.3 on a computer currently using system 7.0 or 7.1:
1. Verify your hard disk has at least 60 MB of free disk space available.
2. Download the Macbinary versions of the individual 19 parts of system 7.5.3 at http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11258 (which will take 2 hours) and then decode the individual 19 parts with
Stuffit expander (drag each downloaded part to the stuffit expander icon if necessary). Now trash the 19 part.bin's left on the desktop, leaving just the 19 parts on the desktop....part 1 of these 19 parts is called System 7.5.3 01 of 19 smi
3. Double click on this 1st part, (called System 7.5.3 01 of 19 smi) and you will get a message "Verifying System 7.5 v7.5.3 CD Inst" . A 5 minute verifying process takes place and ends with a Sys 7.5 v7.5.3 CD Inst icon left on the desktop.
4. Double click on the Sys 7.5 v7.5.3 CD Inst icon. Then double click on the Installer inside the window that appears . Get a welcome to system 7.5 message. Click continue button. Click the Easy Install button (not the Install button) and select custom install. Put an X by System Software. Leave all other boxes blank (unless there are specific items in the list you wish to install).
5. Click the Install button . Many messages may appear - Click the Continue and/or Newer buttons in these messages, never the cancel button. A long 20 minute automatic installation process eventually begins ending with an installation was successful message.
6. Trash all the 19 left over icons on the desktop.
Upgrading to 7.5.5
Go to ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/System_7.5.5_Update/
and download the 3 disc images or the .smi file for the update to 7.5.5.
2) Double click teh smi file to mount it on your desktop. Double click on the installer. If you d/l the three floppies, mount them with Disk Copy as you did the 19 disc images. Double click on the first one. Double click on the installer.
©1996-03 JagWerks Media